Ecobee are making some of my favorite smart thermostats, and these thermostats are now getting pretty more capable with the support for Google assistant. This is so exciting!
The Ecobee3, Ecobee3 Lite, and the Ecobee4 are now controlled from Google Home and any other devices that support the Google Assistant.
This then means that one can use their voice to set and also check the temperature or nudge it in either direction using phrases like “OK Google, make my house warmer.”
They aren’t the first thermostats to add Google assistant support because Honeywell already did add Google Assistant support to several of their smart thermostats.
There are many options that are so many options that are out there for buyers to choose from, and thus it means there is less hassle if one tries switching systems.
I was surprised at how cheap I was able to buy Ecobee4 thermostats from the listing here on Amazon. You should check out if you’re considering one of them.
This addition of Google Assistant support doesn’t change the fact that one cannot ask the Ecobee4 to Google something. This only means that the owners of Ecobee4 who have an Android phone have more than one way that they can control the temperatures in their homes.
Considering that Google home is enabled with setup support in the assistant for all the different versions of Ecobee, then it doesn’t really matter whether you are using Ecobee 3, Ecobee 3 lite or the Ecobee 4.
Setup Instructions For Ecobee4 With Google Home
This is the process you should follow for their setup.
- Start by opening the Google Home App
- Go to devices
- Then select the Ecobee icon from the list in your device.
- After you have selected it, then enter your username and then the password for your Ecobee account so that the application can be authorized
If your Ecobee4 won’t connect to Google Home, you are experiencing some issues, you are not alone. I also went through the same and here is the reason for such and the solutions that I found worked for me.
How Google Home Works With Ecobee4
Once you set up and connect your Ecobee4 thermostat, you can then connect it to Google Home to enable voice control. To connect your ecobee4 to google home, you will have to download the google home app and set up your google home device.
If you are still trying to decide on what google home device you are going to get, the best value device is the Google Home Mini. The google home device which has most features is the Google Home Hub.
How to Connect Your Ecobee4 Smart Thermostat To Google Home
- Install your smart thermostat and set it up o the phone — the Ecobee App.
- Install, then set up your Google Home Device. For you to install the Google Home device, you will have to download the Google Home App that is available on Android and Ios
- Set up your Google Home on the App, then connect the Ecobee4 to Google Home
- Click the Google Home App and open it, then click on the “+Add” symbol to add your Ecobee4 device to google home.
- On the next screen, click on the “+Set up device.”
- The next screen will have two options to choose, choose “Works with Google.” It will then show all the services that work with Google.
- At the top of the manage accounts page, click on the search bar and enter “Ecobee” the Ecobee account will pop up for you to link to your Google Home. Click on the Ecobee logo to add the account. You will then be prompted to log in.
- Login then click allow, your Google Home is now connected to your Ecobee4 smart thermostat. You can now start to control your Ecobee4 with voice commands by saying, “Ok Google, set my thermostat to 72 degrees.”
Google Home Ecobee4 Smart Thermostat Commands
- “Ok Google, set my thermostat to cooling.” –
- “Ok Google, set my thermostat to heating.”
- “Ok, Google, what temperature is my thermostat set to?”
- “Ok Google, set my thermostat to off.”
- “Ok Google, set my thermostat to eco mode.”
- “Ok Google, set my thermostat to 72 Degrees.”
What Devices Work With Google Home Mini?
Google assistant is found in smart speakers such as Google Home, Google Home Mini, and Google Home Max. They are also found in other smart displays like Lenovo Smart Display and in brand new Google Nest Hub Max.
The good thing about having google home is that it is good at answering questions, setting timers, and also playing music. They’re mainly used for controlling smart home devices like lights, thermostats, and so on.
Here is a list of the best smart home devices that work with Google Assistant.
- JBL Link 20
- August Smart Lock Pro
- Philips Hue lights
- Nest Learning Thermostat
- Monoprice Wireless Smart Power Strip
- Nest Cam IQ
- Solis SO-2000
- Polk MagniFi Mini Soundbar
- Eco4life Smart Wi-Fi Plug
- Koogeek Light Strip
- Marshall Stanmore II Voice
- Bose Frames
- Kasa Smart Bulb
- Netgear Arlo Q
- Orbit B-hyve
- Lifx Smart Bulbs
- Logitech Harmony remotes
- Xiaomi Yeelight Smart Bulb
- Chamberlain MyQ Garage Door Opener
- Ecobee (5th Gen)
- Nanoleaf Canvas
- Ezviz Mini O
- iClever Smart Plug
- Sengled Smart LED with Motion Sensor
- Abode Essentials Starter Kit
- Sengled Smart Wi-Fi LED
- Wyze Cam
- Arlo Pro 2
- Nest Learning Thermostat
- Honeywell Home T9
- LIFX A19
- C by GE
- Arlo Ultra HD
- Nest Hello Video Doorbell Camera
- Schlage Encode
- Yale Assure SL
- Wemo Mini Smart Plug
- Samsung SmartThings Hub
Devices Not compatible With Google Home
- Blink XT2 Smart Security Camera
- Fitbit Charge 3
- Sonos One
- Amazon Cloud Cam
With Amazons Alexa’s assistant and the support for HOmeKit built-in along with satellite sensors. The satellite sensors detect not only the temperatures of different rooms but also the people in them. The Ecobee4 is the best all-round smart thermostat.
Pros of Ecobee4
- HomeKit enabled
- Works with Siri
- Has Amazon Alexa support through its built-in microphones
- Works with Google Assistant
- It has remote sensors that detect temperature and room occupancy.
Cons of Ecobee4
- Does not learn from your behavior
- Uses only wired power
The Ecobee4 thermostat is the better all-round thermostat option for most people that have built-in Alexa support, HomeKit support, and better external room sensors.
Considering that it has the HomeKit support, it helps to fill in some of the automation gaps between the Ecobee4 and the Nest and also gives you more options when you are setting up your smart home.
Smart Thermostats That Work With Google Home
- Nest Thermostat Gen 3
- Ecobee Generation 4
- Nest Thermostat E
- Ecobee 3
- Ecobee Lite
- Glas Smart Thermostat
- Emerson Sensi Touch Smart Wi-Fi Thermostat
- Honeywell Wi-Fi Thermostat
- Honeywell T5 Smart Thermostat
I have written a complete hands-on article on weather Smart Thermostats are worth the Cost Here, where I outlined the durability issues I ran into. You may consider checking it out.
Any smart thermostat that works with Google Home will work with all Google Home enabled devices. These include Google Home Mini, Google Home, Google Home Hub, and Google Home Max.
Above, I have ranked the top smart thermostats that work with Google home. The good thing about having the Ecobee4 smart thermostat is that it has Amazon Alexa built-in, and this makes buying one very compelling as it also works with google home. This means that you get the benefit of Alexa and Google Home if you connect the Ecobee4 to a Google Home Device.
Google owns Nest, and this means their integration is seamless, and it is likely that Google will continue to add other compatible devices since they are the same company and would like to maximize functionality.
Do You Need a Thermostat that Works With Google Home?
Yes! You need to have a thermostat that works with Google Home because it will help to elevate your home and make your life easier using the smart voice control for your heating and cooling.
A smart thermostat will help you to save energy and time, and I have written a hands-on article on how this can be done here.
Smart thermostats can also help you to know if your furnace fails in the middle of winter before your pipes freeze.
When you have google home, you use your voice control to tell Google Home to adjust the thermostat to the temperature that is perfect. Voice control enables your home to become more friendly.
I use my smart thermostat in the house, mostly when I am either going to sleep or waking up. I set the temperature I prefer without getting out of bed at night or before I get out of bed in the morning.
Having smart thermostats with voice control helps people live independently or even live longer in their homes with disabilities.
A person that has visual improvement does not need to worry about being able to read the numbers on the thermostat; they just have to tell google home the temperature their thermostat should be without even seeing the thermostat. Even a person with mobility issues, getting around the house could be a challenge. They just have to use their voice now.