The best VR experience is the major objective when purchasing Oculus Quest 2 headset. However, you may experience blurry images and unclear images. This is a common problem that several people have encountered. There are several remedies to this problem. In this article, we will give you some of the best mechanisms for achieving sharper images.
When your Oculus Quest 2 is blurry, these are the initial steps that you should follow
1. Modify The Headset And Straps
The headset might not be inappropriately placed on your face such that the images appear blurred. To confirm the best angles that suit you, try placing the headset on your face without the straps while adjusting to find the best angle. Fix the straps once you find the right angle. Confirm the position of the headset several times to achieve the best results.
2. Clean The Lenses
After going through the above process, blurry images may still be persistent. You will need to wipe the lenses. Do not use chemicals or liquids on the lenses because some of these chemicals may damage your headset. Use a clean piece of cloth or a dry piece of cotton.
Use a circular format of wiping. Repeat wiping in the same circular direction. Do not change the format of wiping.
More Technical Ways
The modes/tips discussed above are basic and very simple. Here are some other ways:
1. Increase The Texture Size
This involves software action. You will need your PC to complete this action. Follow these steps:
- Connect the headset to your PC.
- Go to SideQuest software.
- Adjust the headset settings.
- Try the different texture sizes.
Alternatively, you can use your mobile phone:
You will need to try several textures to figure out the best for your personal experience.
2. Adjust The IPD Setting
Oculus Quest 2 has 68mm, 63mm, and 58 mm values for the IDP settings. You will need to choose one IDP value. There is a manual process of getting other values, intermediate values of either 1.5 or 2.5. Getting the intermediate value is achieved once you have selected one IDP setting of your choice. Adjusting this value will help get the intermediate value where the lenses are either further or closer to the eye.
A perfect match of the IDP will lessen the blur on the images.
3. Adjust The Image Quality
You can try improving/modifying the quality of the images. Image modification can be done for users that use Oculus Link and Oculus Air Link. For oculus Air Link, default the Oculus Debug settings.
Follow these steps for Oculus Link:
- Locate and open the Oculus Debug Tool on your PC, that is, C:/Program
Files/Oculus/Support/Oculus – diagnostics.
- You will find values ranging from 100 – 500 in the Bitrate settings, test them separately to find the best of your choice.
- Set the Distortion Curvature to ‘High’.
For better results, increase the resolution on the Oculus software and the refresh rate of your headset.
4. Modify Image Quality Using Virtual Desktop
This is applicable for PCVR. A Virtual Desktop is software that you can download and use on your headset. You will not need wires/cables to connect and play VR games from your PC hence the name PCVR.
To improve/modify the image quality of your headset using Virtual Desktop, follow these steps:
- Locate and open the Virtual Desktop on your Oculus Quest 2 headset.
- Move to Settings then disable the ‘Use Optimal Resolution’.
- Adjust frame rate to 90 fps.
- Modify the Desktop Bitrate to the maximum value possible.
- Move to ‘Streaming’ and set High VR Graphics Quality, VR Bitrate to 150 Mbps, and VR frame rate to 90 fps.
- Go to Advanced Options and disable ‘Sliced encoding’.
5. Replace The Headset
You might follow all the above procedures but still experiences blurry images. Do not dismantle the headset. Take it back from where you purchased it especially if it is within the warranty period. You may as well contact Oculus support and customer care for more guidelines. This should be the last option after trying the other options unsuccessfully.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use My Glasses On Oculus Quest 2?
While using Oculus Quest 2 headset or any other headset, wearing glasses can be a task. Positioning of the headset is hard and will need much adjusting. Well, you may not need glasses while using Oculus Quest 2. There are 2 major reasons why you may not need your glasses: 1. the frames may damage the lenses. 2. The images are magnified and closer than real images.
If you continually see blurred images without your glasses on, you may consider:
- Use eye contacts that serve the same purpose as your glasses.
- Insert glasses spacer and your glasses on but you must be extremely careful to avoid damaging the lenses.
Why Do I See Blurry Images On My Headset?
We have previously discussed why to fix blurry images on your Oculus Quest 2 headsets but we have not discussed factors that may lead to blurry images. Here are some of the common factors:
- Dirty lenses – dirt on the lenses blur images, you will see cloud-like blurs depending on the intensity of the dirt.
- Very small texture size.
- Low image quality in your settings – the lowest image quality may not give the best image results hence blurry images.
- Incorrect IDP settings.
- Poor positioning of the headset on the face while in use.
- Damaged lenses – if you have followed the above procedures but blurry images persist, then your headset has damaged lenses that should be replaced.
Do not use chemicals and liquids while wiping your lenses. Always use a dry piece of cloth or dry cotton. Some chemicals or liquids may damage your lenses. Do not force any software procedure given above if it is not working, always consultant Oculus support or customer care.