Recently, most smart TVs come with in-built apps. You will find popular apps like Netflix on most of these smart TVs. However, new apps are built and developed more frequently. Therefore, it is necessary to add these apps to your smart TV.
How To Add/Install An App On Samsung Smart TV
Installing an app on Samsung Smart TV is simple. Follow these steps:
- Ensure that there is a stable internet connection in the room.
- Thumb the Home button on the remote control. You can alternatively press the Smart Hub button on your remote control.
- Choose Apps/move to the apps.
- In the top-right corner of your screen, choose the ‘search’ icon.
- Type the name of the app that you want to install. Select the app and download it.
- Click on the app to install it.
- Once the app is installed, click on it to open.
Downloading And Installing An App On Old Samsung Smart TV
Old Samsung TVs may not have some apps. When you move to the apps section, you may not find some of these apps. For instance, Samsung smart TV that was built before 2017 does not have the Peacock app.
Most of the old Samsung smart TV models may not support some of the latest apps. However, you can install these apps. The most common way is using a USB flash drive.
You will have to download the app using your computer then transfer it via USB flash to the Samsung smart TV. This format will involve an APK file. The APK file is stored in the USB drive.
When you insert the USB flash on the Samsung TV, you will notice the APK file. Click on the file so that the downloading process begins. You may be prompted to permit/open ‘Installation from Unknown Sources’ and third-party apps so that the app can be installed on your smart TV.
Allowing/ permitting this action will enable you to successfully install the app once the download is complete (APK download). The app will then be displayed together with the other apps on the Home screen.
Installing Third-Party Apps On Samsung Smart TV
You will need to activate Development mode and Installation from unknown sources.
The following steps will enable you to selectively activate the Developer/Development mode:
- Go to the Samsung settings menu and select Smart Hub. Choose apps from that menu.
- Enter the default Samsung PIN 12345 when asked to insert it. Your television will ask for a PIN whenever you want to access the Development mode settings.
- Once you have inserted the PIN, the developer mode window will be displayed on your screen. Activate the mode.
- You will need to add the IP address of the computer that you will use to download the third-party apps.
- Restart your TV by turning it off and then on after you have completed the above steps.
Follow this procedure to access and activate ‘Installation from Unknown Sources:
- Move to the Samsung TV settings menu.
- Click on the Personal tab.
- Choose security from the drop menu of the tab.
- Once you select security, there is an option of unknown sources. Click on it to activate the mode.
The above steps will make it easy to download third-party apps on your Samsung TV. When the above modes are inactive then Samsung TV will automatically limit you from downloading any third-party app.
Installing Apps On Samsung Smart TV Using Command Prompt
There are other methods that you can use to download the third-party apps on your Samsung TV using your computer. One of these methods commands prompt on your computer. The method will help you download files for the third-party app of your choice.
This method is dependent on the procedures that we have given above (activating the development mode).
To use the command prompt for downloading files, follow these steps:
- Select the network option on the device settings of your Samsung TV to get the TV’s IP address, you need to copy it since you will use it later in the procedure.
- Choose the website that you want to download the APK apps from. Many websites offer APK apps but you will have to choose the website that is compatible with the software of your device (computer).
- On the Windows PC, open the command prompt. If you have not done this before, you can type cmd on the search bar. Run it as an administrator (right-click to run it as administrator)
- Insert the command ADB connect (ABC.XYZ.w.mno) into your terminal. The letters represent the IP address of your TV. Here you will need to put in the password that you had earlier copied.
This step will connect your computer to the TV through WIFI. There will be a Capp.apk command, install it.
- Enter the IP address that you copied then detach using the ADB disconnect command.
- Move to Smart Hub and where you will locate the new app.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is A Third-Party Application?
These are apps that are developed by private developers. The apps are completely managed and modified from time to time by the app developers.
Downloading and installing third-party apps is made easy for android users. If you are using Apple devices, you may not use third-party apps. However, some of these apps (not so many) may run on your iPhone without any complication.
Some of these apps are built and can be used by any user for free. However, most developers build both the free version and the premium versions of the third-party apps.
The major challenge is finding the right source when downloading the third-party app. Many websites offer downloading options. However, some of these websites are faulty and you may end up having difficulties when downloading the app.
Does Samsung TV Use Google Play Store?
Samsung TV unlike Samsung smartphones does not run Android. For this reason, Samsung does not have Google Play.
Most Smart TVs have Google Play Store and hence run android. Samsung TVs have an Operating System that does not rely on Google.
Moreover, Samsung has its play store which is mainly used by the Samsung smart TVs. Samsung phones have the app store but still, run android hence having Google Play Store.