How Arlo works
Arlo’s camera works wire-free, and they are powered by a battery. When your Arlo camera detects motion, it uses the Wi-Fi link to the Arlo base station to stream video to your account in the Cloud. The Arlo base station appearance differs from one to another.
Getting the Arlo App
For you to have the best experience with your Arlo camera, download the Arlo app by scanning the QR code or searching for the arrow in the app store. If you already use the Arlo App, make sure that you are using the latest version; for you to find out if it is an updated version of the update is available, go to the app store and search for Arlo.
How to connect your Base Station to the internet
The base station connects to your home network and will give you access to view your camera streams from anywhere.
- Connect your base station to the router using an ethernet cable
- Connect the AC adaptor to the base station
- Plug your AC adaptor into an electric outlet
- If your base station has an on and off button on the back, then press the button.
- You will notice that the power LED and the internet LED light green in about two minutes and your base station is setup.
Arlo base station LED.
Have a look at the following list of explanations for the green, Amber and blinking LED
How to set up an Arlo account
Tap on the Arlo icon on your mobile device if you are with a computer, then enter the link in your browser; if your mobile device supports a touch ID fingerprint identity sensor, then you are prompted to enable Touch ID or skip.
- To use Touch ID, tap on enable Touch ID; if you tap on the skip, you can turn on the Arlo app fingerprint ID login later.
- Tap or click on new to Arlo
- Select Arlo wire-free and the app will discover your device.
- Select your base station serial number from the menu
- Complete the other required fields for account setup
- Tap or click on continue
- Select a subscription plan
Inserting batteries into your Arlo camera
I will recommend that you use the batteries that are supplied by NETGEAR or any other high-quality; some other established and well-known makes include Panasonic, Duracell or energizer in your Arlo cameras.
What to do to insert batteries into your camera
- Slide and hold the latch on the back bottom of the camera
- Slide the battery door of your camera back and lift to open the battery compartment
- Insert two batteries near the back of the camera, and you should pay attention to the orientation of these batteries when you insert them.
- Also, insert two batteries near the compartment hinge and pay attention to the orientation of the batteries when you are inserting them.
- Then close the battery door.
How to sync your cameras with the base station
- First, you bring the camera within 1 to 3 feet that is around 30 to 100 cm from the base station.
- Then press the sync button on the base station for like 2 seconds, then release that button.
- Wait for the sync status LED on the base station to light up to the green.
- Press the sync button on top of the camera for about 2 seconds and release the button. A blue LED on the camera blinks when it starts to sync; then, it will blink rapidly to confirm syncing. After the camera sync, the power LED that is on the base station might start to blink, and this indicates that the firmware of the camera is updating.
- Repeat this step for each of the cameras
The Arlo camera LED lights when the camera is powered on it also changes color and blinks depending on the battery charge so that it helps to indicate the status of activities like syncing the camera and updating the firmware of the camera. The following table shows explanations for the LED.
Arlo Firmware Updates.
A firmware update might start after you have started syncing the camera to the base station; meaning the firmware update is in progress; the LED camera blinks alternating blue and Amber after it has finished, the LED is off for like 1 to 2 minutes while the camera installs the firmware this update usually happens automatically.
You should never open the battery door while the Arlo camera is updating and installing; when the firmware update has completed, the camera syncs to the base station again, and the LED blinks blue rapidly.
How to add a camera from another Arlo account
- Tap on the Arlo icon on your mobile device, and if you are using a PC, enter the link in the address bar of your browser.
- Log into your old Arlo account.
- Then tap or click on settings then devices, you will notice that a list of devices, including the base station and your cameras display.
- Then tap or click on the camera, and the settings for that camera display.
- Scroll down and tap or click on remove device; the camera is removed from your account.
- Logout of your Arlo app
- Then sync the camera to the base station.
Mounting Arlo cameras
You can place your Arlo cameras on flat surfaces on the shelf, or you can mount them on the wall. You can use the Arlo app in position mode to help in aiming the camera.
- If you want to mount Your Arlo camera on the wall first place the mounting screw into the wall, then hang the magnetic mount from the screen; if it is drywall, you should use drywall plastic anchors, which are provided; you may also use double-sided tape instead of screws.
- Choosing a good spot for your Arlo camera
- You should place your Arlo camera in a location that is unblocked clear and with a good Wi-Fi signal that will reach the base station.
- You should keep your distance in mind when you are placing your Arlo cameras where you want them.
- You should place your Arlo camera a maximum of 300 feet from the base station; a maximum Line of Sight range of 100 feet is there reduced by major materials like ceiling and other obstructions that are major between the base station and your Arlo camera.
The following materials are major in reducing the signal strength most of the time.
- ceramic brick
- unusually thick walls and ceilings
- metal glass especially mirrors
- large quantities of water like a fish tank.
You should make sure you check the Arlo camera LED on the base station if it is blinking Amber; this means the base station detects a low data rate, and this is a sign that your Arlo camera is too far from the base station.
The minimum is to place your Arlo camera at a hundred feet away from the base station, and you should allow at least 200 feet between cameras; when you follow these guidelines, you prevent Wi-Fi signals between the devices from interfering with each other.
How to position your camera to optimize its field of view
Keep these tips in mind when you are positioning your Arlo camera.
- Keep active locations in the field of view of your Arlo camera. Your Arlo camera provides a 110° viewing angle which means you should position your camera so that the space you want to monitor is within that field of view.
- Aim with the Cloud. You should use a low position mode to send video to the Cloud as fast as possible because this allows you to aim the camera while watching the video feed on your smartphone app so that there is near real-time adjust the camera position. You should go to your camera settings page to turn on position mode. After you have put your camera in place, you can then turn off position mode or wait for it to turn off automatically after 5 minutes.
- Elevate your camera. You should mount Your Arlo motion detection camera at least 2 m above the floor, and it should aim slightly downward for it to have the best sensor performance.
- Make sure that side-to-side traffic crosses Arlo’s field of view. Arlo motion sensor is sensitive to side-to-side movement the field of view more than directly towards or away from the camera, the best place to experience motion detection is 5 to 20 feet away from the camera position. You can use motion detection to test if motion is detected by your camera’s placement position; you will know this when the camera’s LED blinks Amber when motion is detected. Go to your Arlo settings page to turn on the motion detection test.
Arlo camera position mode
Position mode in Arlo cameras is available only when the camera is not streaming recording motion or in a motion detection mode.
How to place your Arlo camera in position mode
- Tap on the Arlo camera on your mobile device and if you are using a PC, then enter the link in the address bar of your browser. If your mobile device supports a touch ID fingerprint identity sensor, then you are prompted to enable Touch ID or skip.
- Tap on the gear icon from the camera feed on your mobile device, and the settings page will display
- Tap or click on position mode; if the position mode is grayed out and you cannot tap on it, then the camera might be in armed mode or another motion detection mode. For you to stop motion detection, you should go back and then select disarmed for the camera.
- When in a position more the camera streams video as fast as possible and does not have to buffer so that you can end the camera while also watching on a smartphone and also make near real-time and adjustments you may be able to see lower quality video quality when you are in position mode
- If you select the disarmed mode for your Arlo camera and now you want to detect motion again, just tap on the mod and select the desired mode you want
How to view your content on Arlo camera
The videos that are recorded by your Arlo camera are stored in a library, and you can view these recordings and Mark them as favorite and even search using the filter.
How to view your camera feed
- Tap on the Arlo camera icon that is on your mobile device, and if you are using a PC, go to the link in the address bar of your browser.
- If you want to view a live feed of your Arlo camera, tap or click on live.
- If you want to stop viewing the live feed, then tap or click on the pause.
Pan and zoom video with Arlo camera
You can also pan and zoom in to focus on details of any live or recorded video on the Arlo camera; all you have to do is pinch and drag any image as you do with photos on your phone.
How to Pan and zoom video
- Tap on the Arlo icon on your mobile device
- Tap or click library
- Tap or click on any video from your Arlo library
To Pan and zoom with your mobile device, do the following on your phone.
For you to zoom in and out of the video, use the pinch gesture, and if you want to move around the zoomed-in frame, touch, and drag
To Pan and zoom using your computer do the following.
If you want to zoom in and out, click on the zoom icon, and for moving around in the frame, use the mouse button
How to record clips from a live video
- Tap the Arlo icon on your mobile device
- Then tap or click on live in the camera feed image.
- Then tap or click on record video.
- If you want to stop recording, tap or click on record video, the video will be saved in your library.
How to take a snapshot from a live video
- Tap on the Arlo icon on your mobile device
- Tap or click live in the camera feed image
- Tap or click snapshot
How to control the camera feed image
If you are using more than one Arlo camera, you can change the order in which the Arlo camera feeds are displayed on the devices page. You are able to zoom in on that or rotate the camera feed image.
- Tap the Arlo image Icon on your mobile device
- Tap or click on settings, and the settings page display
- Then tap or click on device order under the system.
- Click on edit at the top of the page if you are using a tablet or a smartphone.
- Tap and hold or right-click, then drag it to any position on the list
- Tap or click done, and your settings are saved.
How to zoom a camera image on your Arlo camera
- Tap the Arlo icon on your mobile device, and if you are using a PC, enter the link in your address bar of a browser then the Devices page displays.
- Tap on the gear icon in the camera feed of your mobile device and tap the video settings; if you are using a computer, you should select settings, then go to my devices, then click the kind of camera.
- Tap or click on the zoom
- Then resize and position the image appropriately.
- Tap or click zoom, and your settings are saved.
How to invert a camera feed in your Arlo camera
- Tap on the Arlo icon on your mobile device and if you are using a computer, click on the link in the address bar of your browser.
- Tap on the gear icon for the camera feed and then tap on video settings. If you are using a computer, you should select settings then go to my devices; the camera video settings are then displayed.
- Then tap or click on the rotate image the camera feed image is invited.
Cloud recording on your Arlo camera
Cloud recording enables you to record everything that your Arlo camera record, and it is saved to the Cloud so that there is secure storage in your library. Cloud recording is included on page plus and also in the pre-planned.
Arlo cameras record whenever they detect sound or motion, and this recording is encrypted with the username and password, but you create it, there is no one else that can access your recordings.
You can get access to your recordings from your mobile device or computer. They can also be downloaded from the Cloud and saved on your mobile device or computer for long-term storage.
How to view your recordings and Snapchats on Arlo camera
Your Arlo camera records and snapshots are stored in your camera store in the library. You can use a filter and the calendar for you to find and view a particular specific recording.
How to find recording using the library
- Tap the Arlo icon on your mobile device, and if you are using a computer, enter the link in the address bar.
- Then tap or click on the library.
- If it is more than one month since you started recording, you should use the arrows on either side of 12 months to select the months you want to view. You will see a green cycle that indicates the selected day and a green dot that indicates each day on which the video clip was recorded.
- Then tap or click a highlighted date, the recordings from that date display below the calendar.
How to find recording using the filter
- Tap the Arlo icon on your mobile device, and if you are using your computer, enter the link in the address bar of your browser.
- Tap and click on library, and the library page will display
- Tap or click the filter icon that is on the upper left corner of the, and the filter page will display
- Tap or click on the filtering criteria that you would like to use
- If you want to remove filtering, tap or click on reset
How to turn off filters in your recording
When you are recording, the filter icon on the library page is solid green, and when the filtering is used, only the recordings that are in the library and match your filter criteria will display. Here is how to turn off filtering
- Tap the Arlo icon on your mobile device, and if you are using a computer, enter the link in the address bar of your browser.
- Then tap or click on library, and the library pages will display
- Then tap or click on the filter icon that is on the upper left corner of your age. The filter pages will display
- Tap or click on research at the bottom of the page, and filtering will be turned off, and the filter icon becomes an outline that shows that filtering is not in use.
How to share and manage your library recordings in Arlo cameras
How to download the recording
- Tap the Arlo icon on your mobile device, and you can enter the link in your address, but if you are using a computer.
- Then tap or click on the library for the library pages to display
- Tap or click on a snapshot or video
- Then tap or click on the cloud icon with an arrow down.
- Tap or click on ok to confirm, and the file that is selected is downloaded.
How to make a recording a favorite
- Tap the Arlo icon on your mobile device, or you may enter the link in the address bar of your browser.
- Tap or click library, and the library pages will display
- Tap or click on Snapchat or video
- Tap or click on the star icon, and the recording is a favorite.
How to share recordings on Arlo camera
- Tap the Arlo icon on your mobile device, or you can enter the link in the address bar of your browser if you are using a computer.
- Tap or click library, and the library pages display
- Tap or click a snapshot or video
- Tap or click on the share button, and the file is shared.
How to donate recordings for research on your Arlo camera
- Tap the Arlo icon on your mobile device or enter the link in your address bar if you are using a computer
- Tap or click library, and the library page will display
- Upon clicking a snapshot or video
- Tap or click on the flag icon, then click ok to confirm; the file is sent to NETGEAR Arlo.
How to delete recordings on Arlo camera
- Tap the Arlo icon on your mobile device, and if you are using a computer, enter the link in the browser.
- Tap or click library, and the library page will display
- Tap or click a snapshot or video
- Tap or click on the dustbin icon and click ok to confirm; the file will be deleted.
How to improve video quality for all Arlo cameras
- Make sure that you are Arlo cameras are within range of the base station. Make sure that the maximum possible range is 300 feet, and there should be no obstructions such as Walls that will decrease the range. To get the best results, you should make sure that your camera shows three or four bars of signal strength in the area that you want it to install; when the signal strength is at 1 or 2 bus this can make the camera go out of range due to fluctuations in the environment and the video quality may suffer.
- Minimize the number of networks, Wi-Fi devices, and transmitted frequencies that are near your best station and your cameras. To prevent any interference in signal, you should place your Arlo cameras at least 10 feet from the base station and allow each of them to be at least two between each other. You should not place your camera or base station near cordless cell phones. WI-Fi enabled are microwaves.
- You should change the power management settings to the best video. If a brand is limited on your Wi-Fi network, then if you select the best video, this does not necessarily improve the video quality. You should note that the best video also reduces the battery life of your camera.
- Make sure that you are internet speed has at least one Mbps upload speed; if you would like to test your upload speed, you should visit the Google search link on your computer and run a speed test. Note that if you have an upload speed of 1 Mbps and you have simultaneous uploads, this may degrade the quality of your Arlo video stream. For you to improve your connection and avoid uploading other data while you are streaming your video, you should not include torrent files and also lot upload videos and pictures to a remote website like YouTube flicker and remote backup sites.
- If you have a router that supports quality of service or traffic shaping, you should optimize the settings for streaming video.